Being a member of the Residence Life Staff team is a rich and rewarding experience. If you are looking for an opportunity to give back to your community and at the same time gain some valuable experience, you should consider applying. Residence Life offers a number of job and volunteer opportunities. Click on each position to see hiring information and a link to an overview of the position. Please note that Don, Porter, RSAG members, PRYSM Coordinator, and Residence Council Volunteers must live in an undergraduate residence during their term. Peer Review Board, Residence Life Project Assistants, and Residence Life Summer Assistant positions are open to York residence and commuting students. The Community Life Programming Assistant position ideally lives in the York Apartments.
Working in Canada
In order to be eligible to work in Canada you must have a valid Social Insurance Number or SIN#. For information please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin.html
If you are an International Student, please visit http://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/current-international-students/orientation/working-in-canada-opportunitiesandrequirements/
Working at York University
Many of our positions are classified as workstudy positions. In order to be eligible for these positions, you must fill out and be approved via the Student Financial Profile through Student Financial Services. To access please visit: https://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp
Opportunities to get Involved!
Note, you must live in an undergraduate residence in order to be a Residence Night Porter.
Applications Due: September 5, 2021
Application Review and Interview Period: September 2021
Job Duration: September 2021 – April 2022
Staff description: Residence Night Porters
Job Descriptions (Coming Soon):
- You may start and save your application. Should you save your application, you will be prompted for your email and emailed a link to return to your saved application. Please ensure you input your email correctly.
- You may go through the application to retrieve questions, work on them, and submit at a later time. This is strongly advised to ensure accurate spelling and grammar, as well as to avoid losing any information.
- Final responses will not be submitted unless you select the "Submit" button. Once submitted, you will receive an email notification with a receipt of your application
- Please note that the application to be a Porter will be used to determine your progression in the hiring process.
- We will be reviewing applications and contacting applicants based on our timelines listed above. Please be patient after you submit your application as you may not receive communication back for a period of time.
- All applicants who submit an application will be contacted regardless of our decision.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Application and Interview Resources
The STAR model is a good framework for answering questions throughout the hiring process. You can learn more about this process through the Career Centre's workshop handout on the model.
There are also a variety of other tools that may be relevant on the Career Centre's Workshop Handout page that may assist you now or in the future.
If you have any questions about getting involved in your residence, please contact your RLC, Don, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in getting involved on campus for the academic year, check out YU Connect for a list of organizations that may have opportunity. Need some help completing an application and/or preparing for an interview? Check out the Career Centre