Housing Services

***Please note that this section is currently under review for the 2017-2018 academic year.***

Housing services are organized into two Housing Complexes. Each complex has its own on-site supervisor and support staff to respond to students’ needs during business hours. Undergraduate Housing Offices (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm)

Complex 1: Tatham Hall, Vanier, Winters & Pond Road Residences Room 108, McLaughlin College T: 416-736-5152 Press "2" F: 416-650-8018 E: complex1@yorku.ca
Complex 2: Bethune, Calumet, & Stong Residences Room 101, Bethune College T: 416-736-5152 Press "2" F: 416-650-8019 E: complex2@yorku.ca

Pond Road Residence front desk is open Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm, ext. 33506

Please visit Housing Services for more information including the Undergraduate Residence Occupancy agreement

Maintenance and Repairs

Submit your non-urgent requests for maintenance and repairs online via the Housing Web site: www.yorku.ca/stuhouse/undergrad/repair
  • Routine Maintenance
  • The Housing Services department employs staff that manages the physical residence building. Housing Services is responsible for providing day-to-day cleaning and maintenance services in the residence building. Housing Staff are also available at the Housing Complex office to receive courier and parcel deliveries, handle maintenance and key requests and other general housing inquiries.

    Housing Services Repair staff will carry out most routine repairs and may gain access to residence rooms during normal business hours without the resident having to be present while maintenance is carried out. Other maintenance staff will be called when specialized trades work such as plumbing, electrical and cable repairs are required. York trades persons wear ID badges and externally contracted workers are accompanied by Housing or Residence staff and are authorized to enter your room following procedures that respect your privacy while carrying out their duties. Repairs are carried out during business hours (9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday) in a priority sequence. Maintenance normally responds within three working days, but you should expect a longer response time during September when there is a higher volume of requests after the move-in period. If you don’t allow repair staff access to your room, then you’ll have to resubmit your maintenance request and wait in queue.

    Please see the Undergraduate Residence Occupancy agreement for more information.

  • Emergency Repairs/Maintenance
  • Please report emergency repairs immediately to Housing Services during office hours or contact the DOD after hours. Emergency repairs or maintenance include situations such as:

    • Flooding,
    • Broken doors or locks that prohibit access to your room/suite,
    • Power outages,
    • No heat,
    • Broken glass, and
    • No elevator service (if one elevator is still working, then it’s not an emergency).

    Repair and maintenance staff are authorized to enter rooms/suites/common areas at any time to respond to emergency repairs and situations where there are security, health and safety risks.

  • Procedures
  • Residents have a responsibility to immediately report maintenance issues that may be deemed unsafe such as loose shelving or windows and doors that cannot be secured.


    • Check to see that your shelving units are securely fastened. If not, please submit an online maintenance request.
    • Do not make modifications to supplied bookshelves.
    • Do not overload your bookshelves. Do not place heavy items on upper shelves.
    • Do not position your bed under your bookshelves.


    • Make sure window latches/locks are released before attempting to open your window.
    • Do not force windows to open beyond their limit.
    • Do not leave windows open when you are absent for any extended periods or during the Winter holiday closure. This may lead to damage caused by water leaks or frozen pipes and result in charges to your student account.
    • Make sure that your window is closed and locked properly to avoid drafts, leaks or whistling noises.
    • Don't remove your window screens. They help to block out insects and pests.
    • If you have an inside window grill (Calumet and Winters residents), make sure there is no furniture obstructing the operation of the window grill in the event of a fire emergency.


    DO NOT engage in horseplay in and around elevators. This could lead to a serious accident as well as significant service delays for everyone living in the building.

    Asbestos Information

    Most buildings in Canada built prior to mid-1980s, including certain York University facilities, contain asbestos in one form or another. Scientific knowledge to date indicates asbestos in its non-friable form (such as in floor tiles, ceiling tiles etc.) poses no danger unless it is being drilled, ground, broken or sanded. Friable asbestos (i.e. material that can be easily ground to dust between fingers), inhaled in large quantities over a long period of time can be a health hazard. Asbestos can be safely managed by following York’s procedure to prevent the release of friable asbestos.

    York University has an Asbestos Management Program in place that fulfills the requirements of the current legislation. This program ensures that correct procedures are followed in the handling of asbestos and that every precaution is taken to reduce any potential exposure risk to the York University Community.

    Asbestos friable material such as pipe insulation (in mechanical rooms accessible mainly to maintenance personnel) must not be touched or disturbed without strict safety measures. Asbestos used in decorative ceiling stucco, vinyl floor tile, dry wall joint compound, a Transite board, as found in some apartments, is non-friable. However, it can become friable if disturbed. To prevent the risk of unnecessary exposure, please do not damage these structures or make alterations or repairs to your rental suite without notifying Housing Services.

    Additional information about asbestos is available at the Health Canada Web site or from York’s Department of Occupational Health and Safety at 416-736-5491 or www.yorku.ca/dohs/resources.html.

    If you have questions about your apartment, please contact Housing Services.

    Cleaning and Recycling

    You are expected to

    • Use garbage and recycling containers – don’t litter!
    • You are responsible for emptying your room/suite’s recycling box into the larger common room bins.
    • Don’t throw food waste into the washroom garbage containers.
    • Don’t wash your dishes in washroom sinks – drains get clogged and washrooms get dirtier.
    • Flush the toilet after use.
    • Keep areas clear of trip and slip hazards – clean up your own spills.
    • Keep kitchen areas clean at all times. It is your responsibility, not custodial staff, to keep kitchen areas clean. Make sure dishes and appliances are cleaned regularly.

    Furthermore, you are expected to participate in York’s Zero Waste recycling program.

    • Suite Cleaning
    • Housing Services will conduct suite cleanliness inspections once per term. Residents will be responsible for taking corrective actions within one week from the inspection if deemed unacceptable. Failure to take corrective actions to bring suite cleanliness up to an acceptable standard will result in fines for cleaning staff to come in and provide a clean-up service.

      Please see the Undergraduate Residence Occupancy agreement for more information.

    • Common Areas
    • All residents have responsibility for the cleanliness of the common rooms, kitchens, washrooms, and other shared space within the building. You are expected to do your share in maintaining a standard of cleanliness which constitutes a hospitable and civil environment for everyone. Please use courtesy when using common areas in residence be that common washrooms, lounges, common kitchens, suite kitchens, hallways and stairwells. Pick up after yourself, treat the furnishings with respect and leave it better than you found it. You may lose your privilege to access common rooms and kitchens if they are left in an unclean and unsanitary condition. It’s up to the residents using these facilities to make every effort to clean up after themselves for the enjoyment of all. Common area furniture is not to be moved and must be kept clean. Any spills should be wiped up and dirty tables should be washed.  If cleaning supplies are required, please speak with your Don.

      Please see the Undergraduate Residence Occupancy agreement for more information.

    • Snack Kitchens
    • Snack Kitchens in traditional style residences are equipped with a fridge, microwave, and toaster oven.  Snack Kitchen equipment that is provided in the common rooms of traditional residences where a meal plan is required is a privilege to the resident. Use of such equipment and space is to be limited to house events authorized by residence staff. It is the residents’ responsibility to keep kitchens clean. For non-suite style residences with snack kitchens, it is the residents’ responsibility to clean the area after use. That includes cleaning counters, disposing of garbage appropriately, wiping up food spills from microwaves after each use, keeping the fridge clean and free of expired foods, cleaning and putting away all dishes shortly after use. Custodial staff does not provide cleaning in kitchens except to sweep and mop the floor. Residents are responsible for cleaning up after themselves and keeping kitchen facilities and appliances as clean as possible at all times. Housing Services is not responsible for any lost/stolen food left in these kitchens.

      Cooking appliances are not allowed in residence rooms. You may keep a small compact refrigerator in your room.  The privilege of cooking within Calumet, Bethune and Pond Road suites also entails a responsibility that cooking facilities be used in a safe manner and be kept clean. Residents should never leave cooking unattended.

      Please see the Undergraduate Residence Occupancy agreement for more information.


      • Internet & Cable
      • Your residence is equipped with AirYork wireless internet and you can log on using your Passport York credentials.  Internet services may be interrupted for maintenance purposes or for other reasons beyond the University’s control. Residents are required to report Internet service interruptions directly to the University InRes Services.  Please ensure you have an up-to-date antivirus program. You can download free Symantec Antivirus and Live Update programs and get more information at www.yorku.ca/inres

        Please see the Undergraduate Residence Occupancy agreement for more information.

        Cable is available via Rogers Cable. You are responsible for setting up an account with Rogers directly if you wish to purchase cable.

      • Mail & Courier
      • You will be provided with a key to a residence mailbox. The University will not hold or redirect mail so make arrangements to have your mail redirected after you move out. Mail should be addressed using the following format: Your Name Your room number, name of Residence York University 4700 Keele Street Toronto, ON M3J 1P3 Packages arriving for students by courier can be received and picked up at their Complex wide Housing Services office during posted office hours. You will be notified when a delivery is received. Couriers are not permitted in the Residences unless you make special arrangements to meet the courier at the building entrance.

      • Parking
      • You can obtain a parking permit for a cost through Parking Services. Medical and visitor parking is also available. Please see www.yorku.ca/parking.